Matters Awards 2020
ESG has become a frequently-discussed topic in modern times. The increasing importance of ESG to the long-term sustainability of businesses cannot be understated. The Matters Awards for sustainability stewardship, organised by ESG Matters, is established in recognition of the excellent listed and unlisted companies in Asia on their outstanding and impactful Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) performance and contributions in their disciplines. We initiated the awards seeking to encourage companies to be aware of their Social Responsibilities, and incorporate ESG and Sustainability into their business models to improve the overall ESG standards in Asia. The Awards can be a ESG good practice sharing platform for influencing other companies to start contributing to ESG and work together on building a sustainable world.
The Matters Awards
Data is the base of ESG, and to properly evaluate the applicants’ ESG performances, the relevant Environmental, Social, and Governance data must all be considered. When deciding the award category, a variety of factors may be taken into account including (but not limited to) the industry and sector, applicant size, green projects, social projects, and other ESG and sustainability initiatives that the applicant may be involved with.
Participants will be awarded one of four different badges depending on their ESG Performance:
Sustaining Stewardship Badge
Stewards with consistent excellent ESG performance among all participating corporates in each industry will be awarded the Sustaining Stewardship Award. Only corporates who have been awarded the Strategically Proactive badge for 3+ years will be eligible.
Strategically Proactive Badge
The top tier companies with outstanding ESG performance among all participating companies in its industry will be awarded the Strategically Proactive badge.
The second tier companies with significant ESG performance among all participating companies in its industry will be awarded the Eco-Efficient badge.
Sustainability Awareness Badge
The companies with notable effort in their ESG performance among all participating companies in its industry will be awarded the Sustainability Awareness Badge.
Participants will receive
- All participating businesses of the Matters Awards will be provided with an evaluation service by ESG Matters, and receive a Matters Report.
- The report will utilise our Matters framework to evaluate the applicant’s ESG performance, highlighting various ESG aspects of the business, such as ESG contribution, key problems, key areas of improvement in an overview, and performance tracking. Key contributions that will be evaluated include Energy, Water, Natural Resources, Pollution, Waste, Physical Presence, People, and Drivers.
- All applicants will be rewarded with the recognition of the Matters Awards based on their ESG performance.
- The awardees will be granted the display usage rights of the Matters Awards logo on their corporate’s marketing and promotional materials, as well as their ESG reports.
- The participants and winners will gain social coverage and exposure to their business.
How to apply
All applicants are required to submit an application form and provide supporting documents including the ESG report in the previous 3 years. The submission deadline will be on 31st January, 2021. All applicants will be charged HKD20,000 for the assessment fees.
Eligibility for Entry
The participating entries are open to all Asia registered companies. Enterprises in any industry or sector are welcome to submit an application to this award.
Application and Judging Timeline
Opening for Application
Deadline for Application
28 Feb, 2021
Judging Awards Results
Early April, 2021
Judging of these kinds of awards are traditionally conducted through human panels. However, the Matters Awards will be judged utilising a completely autonomous process, We believe that using a non-human evaluation method will make the judging of these awards more impartial and unbiased. The automated judging will utilise the Matters Framework, taking into consideration different Environmental, Social, and Governance elements from several international frameworks to assess the applicant’s ESG performance through the Matters Framework. By using this lens, we will aim to objectively examine the applicants to determine their contributions to sustainability and ESG.
Depending on the assessment of each company’s individual performance, the responding category of award will be given to each applicants. The applicant’s industries and sectors will be taken account in during the awards judging process, while the subject areas.
All information submitted by the applicants will be kept strictly confidential. ESG Matters reserves the right to amend the rules and judging of the awards programme. In case of any disputes, all decisions made by ESG Matters shall be regarded as final.
ESG Matters is pleased to invite all of you to support the Matters Awards as a sponsorship. To enhance the awareness of ESG issues, and encourage companies to participate in the Matters Awards, as a platform for companies to review their ESG performance.
The success of the event depends heavily upon the goodwill of the sponsorship of organisations. Organisations can support the Matters Awards and pledge a sum of money to contribute to the awards. This year, in an effort to promote ESG education, awareness, and development, Matters Academy is also offering their Certificate courses at a discounted rate to participating sponsors and applicants as well.
ESG Matters will continue to promote the importance of ESG practices through our services, and build a better and sustainable future for our community.
As acknowledgement and recognition of your kind supports, your organisation logo will be displayed on all the promotional materials of the Matters Awards.
Seedling-tier sponsorship will receive:
- Exposure with our marketing materials, with their respective logos being featured on our event website as a Supporting Organisation
- An event discount for Matters Academy’s courses to develop ESG Talents
- Invitation to the virtual awards ceremony
- A short featurette in our Awards booklet and other relevant publications
Sapling-tier sponsorship will receive:
- All of Seedling-tier supporting organisation benefits
- An exclusive discount for Matters Academy’s courses to develop ESG Talents
- A medium-length featurette in our Awards booklet and other relevant publications
Tree-tier sponsorship will receive:
- All previous tiers’ benefits
- 10 enrollments for Matters Academy’s ESG course with certification (available in multiple languages) for the further development of ESG Talents
- Spotlight feature in our dedicated Awards dedicated EDM
Forest-tier sponsorship will receive:
- All previous tiers’ benefits
- Verification of assessment and contributions for selected high-performing applicants
- 20 enrollments for Matters Academy’s ESG course with certification (available in multiple languages)
- Direct involvement in the virtual awards ceremony
- A full-page featurette in our Awards booklet and other relevant publications